Author Topic: Update regarding the Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan OVA and the status of the blu-rays  (Read 1820 times)

Toni

• Administrator
  • Contributing Member
Seeing as we haven't done a major update in a while, I'd like to get everyone up to speed so they have an idea where we're at and what you'll be seeing from us in the future.

First of all, one thing I would like to clear up is the release date of the Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan OVA. Contrary to what some people have said, it is NOT being released with volume 13 of Diamond is Unbreakable. Those who have purchased all 13 volumes will receive a ticket that they can use to receive the OVA by mail. As such, it doesn't have a concrete release date. We're extremely eager to begin working on it and will do our best to release it within a short time of the DVD ISO being released online, but at this time we can't tell you when we'll have it. It could be released in a week from now, or possibly not for another six months. There really is no way to tell.

Second, work on Drifters and Diamond is Unbreakable has slowed down a bit due to time constraints from work and school. Both blu-ray batches should be released this year, but unfortunately I cannot give you an exact day, let alone month. But rest assured, both will be released when they are ready and we will not be abandoning either.

Finally, we still have no updates on the Part 5 anime, so I can neither confirm nor deny if we will be subbing it. We are significantly more strapped for time than we were when we were subbing Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable, so it's hard to say if our staff will be able to commit to such a huge project. We're huge Jojo fans and would obviously love to say it's a 100% guarantee, but working on it can't come at the expense of our personal lives. But please don't lose hope as we will do our best to make it work and give Part 5 the proper treatment it deserves.

If you have any questions related to anything in this post, feel free to direct them to us in this topic or on Twitter. We'll try to answer any questions you guys may have.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:26:59 pm by Toni »

Finalplayerryu

• Post More
  • I'm new!
So my only question would be: Will you release Ep12 from Drifters or skip it and we get it with BluRay release?

Good to hear from you guys.

Toni

• Administrator
  • Contributing Member
So my only question would be: Will you release Ep12 from Drifters or skip it and we get it with BluRay release?

Good to hear from you guys.

I'm not personally working on Drifters, but I believe the current plan is that episode 12 will be skipped in favor of the blu-ray batch.

NichoMania2

• Post More
  • I'm new!
Hey, new to the forum and hyped for part 4.

Question, though: How does the subbing process for the blu-ray releases of part 4 work exactly?
To be more specific, are you able to simply 'port' the subs you did for the TV versions to the blu-ray episodes,
do you give your past translations a second run down before putting them in the blu-rays,
or am I oblivious to how fansubbing works and it's more complicated than a July-esque release date?

I'm fine with waiting, but my little sisters are going crazy waiting to watch part 4, help they are eating me and attacking the keyboard AUAUAAGihbslk cu,DSAb ,dbvl,vdbsAv

sincerely, me.

Toni

• Administrator
  • Contributing Member
Hey, new to the forum and hyped for part 4.

Question, though: How does the subbing process for the blu-ray releases of part 4 work exactly?
To be more specific, are you able to simply 'port' the subs you did for the TV versions to the blu-ray episodes,
do you give your past translations a second run down before putting them in the blu-rays,
or am I oblivious to how fansubbing works and it's more complicated than a July-esque release date?

I'm fine with waiting, but my little sisters are going crazy waiting to watch part 4, help they are eating me and attacking the keyboard AUAUAAGihbslk cu,DSAb ,dbvl,vdbsAv

sincerely, me.

Good question! We actually don't just straight up put the TV subs on the blu-ray releases for a few reasons:

• Since part of editing is getting to know the characters and creating a "voice" for them, the early episodes tend to not be as polished as the later ones by the end. For example, I had Josuke using the word "fuck" a few times in the early episodes, which at this point I've removed since it feels out of character for him.
  • Certain proper nouns are sometimes changed. When we began subbing Part 4, we originally used American terms for high school classes like freshman and such. We later decided to switch to Japanese terms since we realized it created issues later.
  • Possibly most important of all, the TV scripts were edited and checked on a somewhat strict schedule. In order to not make people wait longer than necessary, we held ourselves to complete our roles in the episode by a given time. I don't believe we ever put out a poorly edited episode (For Part 4 at least), but we certainly leave a lot of room for improvement.

As for the actual process, it goes something like this.

1. I go over each episode again and make notes for things to look out for for the sake of consistency. If a character makes it a habit of repeating a word or phrase, I make a note of it so that they're consistent.
2. I do a once over of the script and edit it again similarly to how I did the TV episodes. Though this takes much less time since most of the work was done the first time.
3. I watch each episode again and make sure everything is good and I haven't introduced any errors or inconsistencies.
4. Our QC Fadeout4 then rewatches each episode again to make sure I didn't mess up anywhere. He also does the work of encoding the blu-rays for release and re-timing the scripts to match the blu-rays (Though this process is fairly quick and not a factor in the time it takes us).
5. Then we release! This can take a while depending on our schedules, but this is what goes into the blu-rays. Because of this, giving an accurate release window is difficult since at times one of us could plow through our work, or do nothing for weeks at a time. Although we've considered the idea of letting people know exactly where in the process we are, we feel this puts undue stress on us when we're busy to show progress and as such won't be implementing it.

Joseppe23

• Post More
  • I'm new!
Hey Toni,

Never realized how much work actually went into subbing the jojo's. It really gave me a new perspective! I appreciate all the work put into it guys and I can't wait to see them! :D

Sokerikukko

• Post More
  • I'm new!
Thanks for the update!

And as for myself, it doesn't matter if the subbing of 5 season (if it ever comes) will take one month per episode or longer.
Seeing as you guys are the best ones out there. Will gladly wait for quality.

As a mature JoJo fan myself, haven't read anything officially released by Viz in english.  So I´m in no hurry and I guess they will release those nice hardback editions beyond SC in Japan in the future, and thus Viz will release them here. Basing my assumption on the fact that JoJo is now hot stuff (USJ rides, Anime, Live Action movie etc. etc.)

Keep up the good work!

histrionicks

• Post More
  • I'm new!
I think I speak for all of us who follow your work when I say that the VA anime and the Rohan OVA (or any other further JJBA stuff) subbed by you guys would be amazing, and it would be 200% worth the wait even if it took months to get one episode out. Don't worry about disappointing us, take your time and prioritize your own lives!  :D

pastebinanon

• Post More
  • I'm new!
I purchased all of the volumes but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fill this in. I will rip it if anyone is kind enough to lend me a hand.

http://i.imgur.com/39xCzDm.jpg