Author Topic: Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 44  (Read 1466 times)

Lord Starfish

• Global Moderator
  • Post More
  • On-and-off-again staff member
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 44
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:41 am »

Oh my god cuteness overload please help

Torrent / MEGA

Translation/Typesetting: Lord Starfish
Editing: CaseyJones
Translation Check: Xemnas
Timing: BYH
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:23:55 am by Toni »

Kolibry

• Post More
  • I'm new!
Re: Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 44
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:46:41 am »
Thanks for the latest release! Are you going to keep translating the outcoming episodes or will you stop? I really prefer your schedule over PM, even if it would take you guys one week per episode.

Toni

• Administrator
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:08:25 am »
Thanks for the latest release! Are you going to keep translating the outcoming episodes or will you stop? I really prefer your schedule over PM, even if it would take you guys one week per episode.

Yep, that's the plan. We'll be releasing new episodes within a few days of them airing. For sure until the end of Sun & Moon, but we're considering future Pokemon series as well.

Phazon

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:42 am »
Why is it "Nebby" instead of Hoshigumo?

Please don't say you got lazy and used the english dubbed version of the name.

Lord Starfish

• Global Moderator
  • Post More
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:41 am »

The origin of the name is explicitly explained in the episode. It's supposed to be understandable. PM-Subs did the same thing with Zygarde in XY&Z, translating its nickname "Puni-chan" as "Squishy"... and both we and them call Lilie's Rokon "Snowball" as opposed to the Japanese "Shiron".

Phazon

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:14:04 pm »

The origin of the name is explicitly explained in the episode. It's supposed to be understandable. PM-Subs did the same thing with Zygarde in XY&Z, translating its nickname "Puni-chan" as "Squishy"... and both we and them call Lilie's Rokon "Snowball" as opposed to the Japanese "Shiron".

yeah, and Konoha means "leafage" right? -_-

Lord Starfish

• Global Moderator
  • Post More
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 03:06:50 am »

yeah, and Konoha means "leafage" right? -_-
...Again something PM-Subs already did. We're pretty much just following their example, except in cases where we personally disagree with them. Certain Pokémon name spellings and the Rocket Gang's "nani kono kanji" being the main examples of us deliberately not taking the same route as theirs. But I do not disagree with using the official English attack names, as they are mostly direct translations. Not always, (100 000 Volts becoming Thunderbolt being the most immediately obvious one due to how frequently it's used) and the Z-Moves are a blatant exception which is why for those we use the actual Japanese names which more often than not are English anyway, but they match often enough that I find changing the translation there to be just changing things for the sake of changing things.

...Oh, and how is using Cosmog's official English nickname "lazy", exactly? Because from where I'm standing, "lazy" would be to not translate it. Or to translate the thing literally and just call it "Starcloud", which sure, perfectly conveys the logic behind the name (sparkles like a star, puffy body that looks like a cloud) but misses the point that it's meant to sound cute. From where we were standing, twisting the explanation ever so slightly ("A cloud of stars is a nebula") and using Nebby was the more sensible option.

Tombstone

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:10:43 am »
i can't believe you're butchering the glorious nippon language, truly there's never been a greater offense.

but no seriously, I was getting so peeved by Phazon there, I just wanted to sign up and tell you Lord Starfish (and the rest of Some-Stuff), thanks for doing such a great job. Unlike some weebs, I appreciate you using the english for some stuff because it makes a lot more sense and helps with the localization. It'd be pretty dumb to be using the japanese name for Nebby and have to be putting (T/N: Hoshigumo means Nebula) and so forth, don't wanna be like TV-Nihon.  You guys and PM Subs have both been doing a great job of fansubbing this dang japanese children's cartoon i've been watching for years and I hope to see you all keep up the great work.

Phazon

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:26:29 pm »
fine, let them keep doing google translations.

If your gonna do the job, at least do it properly ffs.

also, you are right: Pokemon is a japanese childrens cartoon. just like elfin lied, dragon ball super, one punch man & all other violent anime out there right? ;)

they are japanese cartoons right? ;)

Toni

• Administrator
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 11:24:47 pm »

also, you are right: Pokemon is a japanese childrens cartoon. just like elfin lied, dragon ball super, one punch man & all other violent anime out there right? ;)

If you're going to tell people how to do their job, at least use proper grammar so perhaps your opinions about how to properly translate can be taken seriously. Don't act like your personal preferences in any way dictate what a proper translation is.

And with the exception of Elfen Lied, all of those ARE Japanese children's cartoons, seeing as they originate from a magazine aimed at young male readers. There's nothing wrong with that. They're more mature than what we're used to in the west, but that's a cultural difference. In Japan, they were created with children in mind.

Lord Starfish

• Global Moderator
  • Post More
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:43:14 am »

Dude. What are you even talking about? Google Translate? Are you implying that our subs are made with Google Translate? Because if so...

ACTUAL Google Translate translation (and apparently retranslated from Spanish at that)
Our translation of the same episode

I like to think the difference speaks for itself. I like to think that we do, in fact, do things properly... that one extremely stupid mistake in episode 43 where I had Takeshi saying "I know you're upset that we lost" after a battle he won notwithstanding (though I v2'd that episode immediately upon noticing that mistake).

And are you seriously trying to claim that Pokémon, Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man and Elfen Lied are aimed at the same demographic? I mean, DBS you might be able to make that case for being that it is in fact incredibly toned down compared to the older Dragon Ball series, but even there the target audience skews at least a few years older than that of Pokémon. And Elfen Lied is a seinen series, explicitly aimed at teenagers/young adults. Not to mention pulling all those shows under the same comb and describing them as "extremely violent". Okay then, point me to the last time in Pokémon where someone got punched so hard that their head literally exploded, spraying blood and intestines everywhere. Oh wait. You can't. Because Pokémon doesn't have that. It instead has low-stakes battles wherein nobody ever gets seriously hurt and more often than not the people fighting end up walking away from the battle as friends. Or battles against a pair of comic relief villains who are so incompetent that they themselves frequently point out their own ineptitude. Yup, surely this is completely the same as Elfen Lied.

...Or are you trying to claim that anime and cartoons are different things? Because if so...
animated cartoon

noun
a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed and run through a projector the figures seem to move.

PewnyPL

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:21:00 am »

Dude. What are you even talking about? Google Translate? Are you implying that our subs are made with Google Translate? Because if so...

ACTUAL Google Translate translation (and apparently retranslated from Spanish at that)
Our translation of the same episode

I like to think the difference speaks for itself. I like to think that we do, in fact, do things properly... that one extremely stupid mistake in episode 43 where I had Takeshi saying "I know you're upset that we lost" after a battle he won notwithstanding (though I v2'd that episode immediately upon noticing that mistake).

And are you seriously trying to claim that Pokémon, Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man and Elfen Lied are aimed at the same demographic? I mean, DBS you might be able to make that case for being that it is in fact incredibly toned down compared to the older Dragon Ball series, but even there the target audience skews at least a few years older than that of Pokémon. And Elfen Lied is a seinen series, explicitly aimed at teenagers/young adults. Not to mention pulling all those shows under the same comb and describing them as "extremely violent". Okay then, point me to the last time in Pokémon where someone got punched so hard that their head literally exploded, spraying blood and intestines everywhere. Oh wait. You can't. Because Pokémon doesn't have that. It instead has low-stakes battles wherein nobody ever gets seriously hurt and more often than not the people fighting end up walking away from the battle as friends. Or battles against a pair of comic relief villains who are so incompetent that they themselves frequently point out their own ineptitude. Yup, surely this is completely the same as Elfen Lied.

...Or are you trying to claim that anime and cartoons are different things? Because if so...
animated cartoon

noun
a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed and run through a projector the figures seem to move.

I say let the idiot be and have him wait for PM to catch up in like a year, at which point he will complain to them because, like you said, they will use Nebby as well instead of Hoshigumo.

Puto

• Post More
  • I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 04:12:06 pm »
Actually, I'm pretty sure PM will be using 'Starcloud'.